Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"1000s of dead birds in Lake Superior"

I just found out that beginning on Sept 2nd, fishermen on Lake Superior were reporting "wind rows" of 1000s of dead birds floating in the Lake. The birds were described as being from warbler-size to woodpeckers to gulls. We had a storm come through the evening of Sept 1st that continued through the 2nd with high north winds and heavy rain.

I don't know the magnitude of this event nor do I know why the birds didn't make it. I can speculate exhaustion, inability to find or get to shore, or possibly a downdraft. I'm attempting contact with the fishermen to see if I can get any other information and piece together what may have happened and the possible magnitude of this mortality event. An interesting note is that the morning of Sept 1st, we recorded over 6000 birds flying inland from Lake Superior from a one-mile radius observation area. Assuming ~6000 birds were flying inland at every one-mile radius spot along the North Shore, I would guess that millions of birds were actively migrating during this time and quite possibly during the storm.

Lets hope the magnitude of this mortality event is not newsworthy. I'll post what I find out.

1 comment:

  1. 4,000 black birds fall from the sky in Beebe Arkansas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZxZhpMSl0

    ReplyDelete